We are all in this together and in an effort to ensure that key COVID-19 information is being shared with as many radiology professionals as possible we’ve put together a list of expert recommendations and statements you may find useful. We’ve also included a brief recap of the key findings for your convenience.
ACR Recommendations on the use of CT and Chest Radiography for suspected COVID-19 patients
- CT should not be used to screen for or as a first-line test to diagnose COVID-19.
- CT should be used sparingly and reserved for hospitalized, symptomatic patients with specific clinical indications for CT.
ACR Appropriateness Criteria for COVID-19
Radiological Society of North America Expert Consensus Statement on Reporting Chest CT Findings Related to COVID-19.
- Routine screening CT for the identification of COVID-19 pneumonia is currently not recommended by most radiology societies.
- Provides guidance and language to radiologists on incidentally detected findings that could be attributed to COVID-19.
- The goal of this expert consensus is to help radiologists recognize findings of COVID-19 pneumonia and aid their communication with other healthcare providers.
Society if Cardiovascular Computed Tomography COVID-19 Response
- For patients under investigation and confirmed COVID-19 patients, the benefits of CT will likely be lower than the risk of COVID-19 exposure and infection to healthcare personnel.
- Ensure proper use of personal protection equipment.
- Ensure appropriate environmental cleaning and decontamination.
CT is US: COVID-19 CT Scanning Procedures
- 1 technologist dons PPE and 1 technologist remains clean.
- Patient wears a surgical mask.
- Clean and wipe the gantry, table, and any surfaces after the exam.
- No downtime needed for suspected COVID-19 patients. 45 minutes of downtime after the exam for confirmed COVID-19 patients.
LANDAUER appreciates all you do and wish each of you the very best in these difficult times. Stay safe and healthy.